The Rotary Street Parade brings a sea of colour, creativity and celebration of the Whitsunday community down Airlie Beach Main Street as young and old, locals and tourists, line the streets to soak up the atmosphere.
If you haven’t been involved before, now is the time to showcase your business, community group or school. Entering the parade is a great opportunity to get your work colleagues or club members together and come up with a great idea for a float and advertise yourselves to the whole town. We promise you will have a ball in the process! Entries can be a ‘walking’ entry or vehicle ‘float’ or a combination of both
There will be prizes (and bragging rights) for:
- Best Business
- Best not-for-profit
- Most Creative & Wacky Design
Entries Close Monday August 2nd
Buiness Entries $50 entry fee (below)
Entry is free for not for profit organisations and sponsors of the Great Barrier Reef Festival.
PREPARING FOR THE PARADE
- Get your entry form in ON TIME (closing date August 2):
- Entry Description: On the entry form, under the heading ‘Entry Description’ please write a description / announcement to promote your business / organisation and describe your entry as it passes the center stage, i.e.
’Rotary club of Airlie Beach is a group of dedicated people who share a passion for both community service and friendship. Becoming a Rotarian connects you with a diverse group of professionals who share your drive to give back’. Our entry… ‘
- Plan your entry round the theme: If you are looking for inspiration, start thinking of ideas which will support the theme “IMMERSE”, the Great Barrier Reef Festival parade is always reef-themed. Let’s make this parade colourful and creative!
- Look out for an email. The Great Barrier Reef Festival team will be in contact the week of the festival with details of assembly time, place, your sequence in the parade.
- The Great Barrier Reef Festival is balloon free. We ask that no parade entry uses balloons when decorating, we also encourage all entries to use sustainable and recyclable products.
- Please keep in mind our safety requirements when planning your entry:
While we want everyone to have fun, we also want everyone, in the parade and in the crowd, to be safe. Therefore we ask that you assist with implementing these safety requirements:
No Throwing. No objects are to be thrown at all during the parade, this includes lollies. We have vehicles in the parade and we want to minimise the risk of spectators and participants alike from moving in front of these vehicles and getting hurt. If you wish to distribute lollies, this may be done by walking along close to the crowd and handing them to the children.
If you are entering a vehicle in the parade (e.g. truck, bus, car/ute/4WD with trailer) we require you to have two people walking along side / in front (preferably wearing high-vis vests/shirts) to assist with safety of walking participants/spectators. This will be checked at the assembly point.