Whitsunday Escape Recyclable RegattaDate: 06/08/2023
Time: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Location: Airlie Beach Forehore, Airlie Beach, QLD, 4802
With a new sponsor in 2023, the Whitsunday Escape Recyclable Regatta which is one of the festival’s favourite events with schools and other groups will be sure to go off. We invite you to get involved and join in the fun – make a raft out of recyclable materials and battle it out with the pirates on the high seas !
Come one, come all – schools, community groups or a bunch of friends. Great cash prizes and fun to be had for all ages. Arrr……. The Recyclable Regatta challenge is on!
Recyclable Regatta Rules
There will be two divisions, the same raft can be used in both divisions:
- Open Age 13+
- Children Ages 6 – 12
- Maximum crew of 3
- Any type of oar/paddle can be used.
- The maximum size of the raft is 3m x 3m
- Raft to be made from recyclable materials (see list below)
- Name of Raft MUST be a min. of 12″ to be visible
- Life Jackets a must
Raft Course – Airlie Beach foreshore
Starting from the Airlie Beach foreshore beach at 3 pm, the race will proceed around the markers and back to the beach, all crew will then race up the beach to the finish line. The race complete when all crew members cross the line.
Rafts can be made from recycled materials, bottles, plastic pipes and other materials that would otherwise be dumped or recycled. Previous years have seen some great entries and 2022 was our biggest and best so far!
Specifically ALLOWED materials:
- Milk, juice, water, soft drink bottles
- Plastic drums
- Bamboo poles
- Plastic sheeting
Specifically NOT ALLOWED:
- Insulation foam, “Coolite”
- Parts of boats/canoes/kayaks
- Whole boats/canoes/kayaks or emergency flotation
- Anything that might wash-off, water based paints
- Anything that might “leach” contaminants into the ocean
A Consent Form is required to be completed to participate in this event.
Further information/advice on choice of materials please contact firstname.lastname@example.org